31 July 2016

(1a) Washington's Carbon Tax Initiative, I-732
I-732 is not perfect. It is easy to understand and administer, and it will put money in the pockets of hundreds of thousands of low-income families. But it does not benefit all low-income households, and it means that any given household’s utility provider plays an outsized role in the tax’s impact on that household’s budget, leaving benefits and costs for households to geographic luck. Its protections for energy-intensive, trade-exposed companies are blunt and may give money to businesses that don’t necessarily need it ...
(1b) Does I-732 Really Have a “Budget Hole”?
By current estimates, I-732 will likely have less than a 1 percent impact on state tax revenue for decades. If the Department’s annual report shows the swap drifting too far from neutral, it will be the legislature’s job to tweak the tax cuts so as to carry out the people’s intent of a revenue-neutral carbon tax.
(1c) Weighing the Critiques of CarbonWA’s I-732
I-732 would launch Washington to a position of global leadership on climate action. By implementing a pollution price, rising steadily for four decades and keeping pace with inflation thereafter, I-732 would reorient Washington’s economy away from fossil fuels and toward low-carbon options. ... By reducing Washington’s regressive state sales tax and funding tax credits for working families, I-732 would make the state tax code more progressive. On the other hand, I-732 would give an unfortunate windfall to Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers. It wouldn’t do enough to protect and boost the interests of all low-income Washingtonians or to help the hardest-hit Washingtonians thrive in a clean energy economy.
(2) Trump's Climate Change Claims
Donald Trump will find it increasingly difficult to be taken seriously outside the United States if he continues to propagate such ludicrous myths about climate change.
(3) Proxy Carbon Pricing
... so-called proxy or internal carbon pricing can take several forms. Some companies establish internal trading systems among divisions or internal fees in order to meet emissions reduction targets. Others assume a future price on carbon emissions when they evaluate the financial viability of potential long-term investments. This practice—called proxy carbon pricing or shadow carbon pricing—helps steer investments away from high-carbon projects and toward low-carbon alternatives. ... By adopting proxy carbon pricing in their national and cross-border infrastructure investment and permitting decisions—and encouraging its use in other contexts, such as international development finance and the private sector—the United States, Canada, and Mexico can help meet these obligations.
(4) The Alaskan Highway Is Melting
The highway’s dark surface absorbs sunlight while the shoulders trap water and snow that act like a warm blanket. The heat breaks down the permafrost (soil, rock or sediment frozen for at least two consecutive years). Annual repair costs ... are seven times the average ... Thawing also threatens airport runways, buildings, animal-migration patterns and energy pipelines. ... “Communities are unable to reach each other, it’s harder to get goods there, ... Thawing permafrost isn’t “just an inconvenience, folks; it’s a change in the way of life.”
(5) You Can’t Handle the Truth!
Regardless how we address the challenges of climate change, resource depletion, overpopulation, debt deflation, species extinctions, ocean death, and on and on, we’re in for one hell of a century. ... The times call for a candidate more in the mold of Winston Churchill, who famously promised only “blood, toil, tears, and sweat” in enlisting his people in a great, protracted struggle in which all would be called upon to work tirelessly and set aside personal wants and expectations.
(6) How We React to Climate Change, Film "After Denial"
Some 70 percent of Americans believe that climate change is happening, yet only half understand it is driven by human activities, and some think it is not happening at all. Many of those who do accept climate change struggle to cope with the scale and severity of the issue.
(7) Toolbox for Social Action, Beautiful Rising
Tactics, Principles, Theories, Methodologies, and Stories
(8) Oil Trains: Unsafe & Unnecessary
A fossil fuel-free, decarbonized energy system to serve our electric power needs is now within clear view. ... the region can meet foreseeable growth in power needs with energy efficiency. It projects declining emissions under existing policies, and shows how the region could reduce power sector emissions 70% by 2035 with current technology on its way to fossil-free future.
(9) Carrying Capacity of U.S. Agricultural Land: Ten Diet Scenarios
Annual per capita land requirements ranged from 0.13 to 1.08 ha person-1 year-1 across the ten diet scenarios. Carrying capacity varied from 402 to 807 million persons; 1.3 to 2.6 times the 2010 U.S. population. Carrying capacity was higher for scenarios with less meat and highest for the lacto-vegetarian diet.